Being Safe While Using the Internet
A workshop providing tips when using the internet, including how to stay safe on the Internet, how to communicate online, using online gaming and safely using adult content on the Internet.
- Email and Online Communication Tips for communicating online (email, chat, Skype, texting etc.)
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Staying Safe on the Internet One of the best ways to stay safe is to maintain an ongoing open dialogue about what you are doing on the internet with someone you trust.
- Adult Content and the Internet We live in a world where movies, television, music videos and magazines not only provide us with hours of enjoyable entertainment but they can also expose us to countless images of sex and violence.
- Online Gaming Online gaming can be a fun hobby.
- How to successfully use Connected Families and other social media in your Community based organization – It is important to embrace social media as one of a number of tools to include in your communication tool box. There are a number of ways that social media can improve how quickly and how well you provide support.
- Connected Families (online forums)
A meeting place for you to connect with others. It is a private area of the site where you can share your story or ideas with the community. Register to become a member. All we ask for is your name and email address and we’ll email you a password. For more information on how to sign up and use Connected Families.
- About that first Tweet – A practical guide to SocialMedia for Charities & SocialEnterprises. Source: Social Misfits Media
- Something to Tweet About – How charities & socialenterprises can create great socialmedia content. Source: Social Misfits Media
- How to support someone in using social media safely – Ways in which you can help ensure individuals with intellectual disabilities are using the social media in a safe manner
- Keeping the ME in Media, social media tips – Thoughts, Ideas and Tips for Supporting People with Intellectual Disabilities to Use Social Media. Source: Vita Community Services
- How to use Social Media to keep relationships going – Social media is a great way to keep in touch with people you may otherwise not see regularly.
The Footprint Challenge by TELUS
TELUS WISE footprint challenge was created to provide tweens and teens a fun and engaging way to learn about their digital footprint and how to keep it clean. There are 3 short videos providing tips followed by a quiz: Make a good impression, Do the right thing and Keep safe. There are also 4 comic strips providing tips on respectful and safe use of the internet. The user will need to create an account and log in to use the Footprint Challenge.